Sunday, October 10, 2010

It seems like October was so far off when Amy and Eric decided to get married. We planned, shopped, made things, shopped again....turned their ideas into designs and reality. Well this weekend the big event finally came. It was a gorgeous weekend. It was the perfect fall weekend, not a cloud in the sky and warmer than usual. All of my family made the trek into Chicago, from Ohio, Wisconsin, Michigan and Georgia. It was terrific seeing all of them. I was on vacation all week and each day had a different aspect of the wedding planned.

We started on Tuesday with the set up of the hall. The reception was being held at our Church in the main hall. Normally it is undecorated and used for events at different times of the year. Here is a picture of how it looked when we started....just plain tables, and walls....













We added a few tablecloths, .....................


some chair covers........





















and the centerpieces......then some fluff...The room was ready...

















And when we were done it looked like this...Thanks to Mom, Katie and my sister Kathy for all their help.....


My daughter Amy is a Nurse and her fiancee is a Fireman...so they created the Nurse and Fireman theme for the wedding....Unfortunately I do not have all the pictures of the accessories so you will have to check out Kathy's blog to see those...but they wanted a cake that was not only good tasting but sumed up their relationship...They had a groom's cake of the Fireman's helmet that Eric wears, and the cake, white with the red roses which reflects the red and white of the nurses....
If you notice the cake topper is the fireman carrying the nurse, cap and all.......the favors on the table were first aid kits and the jordan almonds were done in red, orange and yellow netting representing the flames....with the saying "Our Love is on Fire"..
The kids put out Eric's fireman boots to hold their cards and Eric being Irish had a bag pipe player arrive at the church to escort them from the church once they were married. I would show you that picture but again, I did not have my camera and so I can't show you a picture of the Bride and Groom at least not what they looked like that day...Again I will have to get that from Kathy...The ceremony went well....the best part was when the priest, Father Damien who has known my kids for a long time, was having Amy recite her vows and at the last moment he slipped in the words, I Amy promise to be obedient......she just stopped dead and turned her head to look at Father and Eric did a double take....Father started laughing along with everyone in the audience....as he stated I just had to throw that one in ...the reaction was great and so the statement was changed...and obedience was removed from the ceremony....Everything went smoothly....and they left the church hand in hand to begin their new life....The reception room started to fill with people and the only thing missing was the beer....people went to the foyer area for H'orderves and began the party....During dinner toasts were made, one by Katie, her sister, who talked all about what a great person Eric was getting, but just in case he didn't know she let him in on some obvious flaws of the bride all done in good humor. After a slight moment of choking up, Kate finished her toast and it was on to the best man, Joe's toast....he talked about how he and Eric met and how that lead to him working with Amy and completing the circle....again the toast was complete and dinner continued. The toast that was never heard around the table was the one that was in my heart but couldn't be said...so I will give my toast now to the Bride and Groom...though they may never see it, they will know I always felt it.....
Amy and Eric, look around this room, at all the people here, your family, your friends and co-workers. This whole process started because 2 people fell in love. They took that leap of faith and believed in each other. From that love they had 6 children, 15 grandchildren and 23 Great Grandchildren. They fulfilled their life. When I became a Mom and they placed that child in my arms, I had so many hopes, goals and expectations. I couldn't wait until that child talked to hear your name called from their lips, to crawl, walk and eventually run. To start school, play an instrument or be active in whatever their desire to do was. To graduate from high school, go on to college if that was their choice, to graduate, start a career, to meet the person who they would choose to share their life with. Today marks the end of my goals. They have been met. I waited Amy's entire life to see the man that would win her heart and she chose wisely. Eric shares her passion for constant fun and adventure. They love to travel, they share their work...they compliment each other. Eric is strong in the areas where Amy is weaker and Amy is stronger in areas where Eric is weaker. Every life will have challenges but if you remember to always keep this day in your heart and remember to love always, laugh often and live well...someday you will sit where I do and take pride in all that you have accomplished and know your goals have been met. I always wanted 6 children but could only mentally and physically handle 4, but I ended up with seven which was more than I could hope for. I too have be blessed and full filled...and will now move into a different phase of Motherhood and pass gracefully into Grand motherhood and will sit back and enjoy the ride. There is still much to come. Love to you both always and forever....
Well that would have been my speech, but I need to go a little further and thank my family for everything they have done and been to me in my life....starting with Mom, she is always there with me to work on any project we take on and if it was not for her, much of this event would not have happened. That even includes being okay with walking home from the church at 1:00 in the morning in complete darkness, dressed like "2 old hookers" walking down the highway because everyone left and the car was dead when we decided to go home......she actually beat me home......My sister Kathy and Jack always seem to get the short end of the stick and end up in the kitchen with me. But from the bottom of my heart I love them both. Kathy made ribs, acorn squash and is always a huge part of anything I do. They drove in, did the dinner, ran to the church to participate in the rehersal, did the readings at the wedding, help me set up the room and food and went back again to help me clean up. They are amazing and gracious always where I know myself well enough to know I would not always be...My brothers Greg and Phil who when a problem arose were right there to jump in the car and take care of it. My brothers Rick and Jim who could calm you down and always are there to support whatever crazy idea I get....my kids who are always a part of everything I dream and everything I do....thank you to them all, without their help I would be lost....
Now everyone has left and the house is quiet...we straightend up the yard, tried to disguise the leftovers and took a long nap...it has been a great vacation....a long week...I actually even managed to squeeze in having lost 4 pounds.....well that shouldn't be...I think I'll head in a try one more left over from the sweet table.....thanks to everyone...always...and forever grateful...Love you all......

3 comments:

yaya said...

If you were trying to get back at me for this morning's tears...mission accomplished...however, as always you write from the heart. It was great and "you're welcome"...I'm glad I come from a big, crazy family that loves each other and I know Jack is happy he's included! (I just said that, but I'm sure he is!) Love ya! You did an awesome job and I know Amy and Eric loved it.

Donna said...

My eyes are moist as I read your post...good toast!! Kathy talks about you so much that I feel I know you well...what a great mother you are and I am looking you up next time I throw a wedding...way to go!! From A to Z, you do it all fantastically!!
(AND lost 4 lbs!??!) I know you are remarkable from all Kath has said and from reading both of your posts...but YOU WALKED HOME TOO???? (oh, that mom of yours!!)

Karen Whittal said...

What an inspiriting post. I am getting to know Kathy quite well through her blog and you are already like one of the family, hope you don't mind if I follow your blog.