In August, I developed a blood clot in my leg and I know it may seem petty in comparison to people who truly have life threatening diseases, but to myself, I saw it as an inconvienence.
I ended up going into the hospital for observation with the help of my daughter Amy who is a nurse. I must admit there is no getting past her watchful eye and yet I am grateful for the care and concern she shows me. Well I had no idea that being in the hospital for observation was pretty much like being in solitary confinement. I'm not sure what they were observing but once I was settled in my room that was the last time I saw anyone so I'm not sure how they observe you from a distance but they did because I got all the bills to prove it..This is a new beautiful hospital built with the Green tree Healing aptmosphere. It is beautiful I will give them that but I think I could have been observed at home in the comfort of my recliner and had the same outcome.
Anyway when I got home I was kind of mad first because I now needed to take blood thinners for an undetermined amount of time and second I could not do all the things that I still had on my summer list.
One of the items was the outdoor oven that I have wanted to build and have thought about for almost 20 years.
It took the three of us just under 2 months to complete the outdoor oven and cooking space. It is amazing to have imagined this for so long and to watch it come together piece by piece until it stands before you...
of concrete, approximately 400 bricks for the dome we finally completed the structure. Now the next adventure was to start figuring out how to cook in it....We have done alot of practicing, but we are finally coming to master the process.
The outdoor oven is important to me because it bridges a gap between my Mom's childhood and the desire to never forget. When my Mother was a child and living in Chicago, her Mom and Dad had an outdoor oven and they used it every weekend to bake their weekly bread. Her Mom would use 25 pounds of flour and create many loaves to be used during the week. In this day and age, I do not need 7 to 10 loaves of bread during the week, but I wanted to have a small piece of our heritage remembered. It stands as a reminder of who our Grandparents were, where they came from and who we are as a generation they did not get to know. I will learn to use the oven better by the Spring when I look forward to cooking our Easter bread in it as her parents use to do. In just a small way I get to know who they were by what we have accomplished.
4 comments:
It is a great accomplishment...so fun to watch you create the yummy bread and pizza we enjoyed when we came for the Arends Christmas. I'm so proud of you...so proud that you finished something that I know you've wanted to do forever. Awesome! Good blogging too!
Kathy has been showing me pictures of the oven progress and I have been in awe!!! I think I was the ORIGINAL California Pizza Kitchen lover because of the wood smell. I love the smell of a fire in any form...camping most of all. You nailed the most beautiful creation that I can imagine!! Enjoy, -You deserve it!!!!
Wow! I am so jealous, of your accomplishment, your eagerness to connect to the past, your eagerness to continue so many wonderful traditions. Congratulations!
Wow! I am so jealous, of your accomplishment, your eagerness to connect to the past, your eagerness to continue so many wonderful traditions. Congratulations!
Post a Comment