Monday, May 4, 2009

Music that touches the soul

When I was younger than I happen to be today...I always wished I could play an instrument...My absolute favorite instrument is the violin. The closest I ever got was the guitar and though I tried and learned some of the chords, I could never master it. I am pretty convinced that musical talent must have skipped our generation.




I was thankful to see it in my children. I sat through many concerts of squeaky violins, brassy saxaphones and children with the hope in their hearts that they would be good....really good. Eventually the squeaks calmed down and the tune appeared, then the melody and before you knew it, the concerts I went to were amazingly professional and I was very proud of every note and the discipline it took to acheive them. I tried very hard to convince them to play the violin but instead we had coronets, drums, saxaphones and a bass. I was sure I would have my own band that could play whenever and your mind could wander to a serene place and the music would just play on. Not so much...now the instruments are gone..the drums long abandoned in the crawl space, the coronet...not sure where that went, the sax is on a permanent vacation to a friend's house that will never return and the bass is back at the rental shop. The only thing that couldn't be returned are the memories of listening to the squeaks turn into harmony, melody and a song that touched your soul.


Well now the grand kids are ready to begin that journey..and so this weekend in a fluke I caught a glimpse of a future star...or at least she believes she is. Here is Brooke doing her rendition of "Old McDonald" and playing her own accompanyment.


Now here is a picture from Easter and all my G kids. They also make a noise that can be music to my ears. It is now in their laughter that I hear the melody, their screams I hear the harmony and when all together they create the symphony that plays always in my head....my little musicians...

Brooke, Me, Andrew, Ava and Alana...Star material...

1 comment:

yaya said...

Ohhh, soooo cute! She's a natural! As always, lovely writing Midge, you hit the nail on the head. I did get 2 musicians, (Jackie and Phil)..one singer(Jackie)...and a husband who sings in the choir...I too wished for musical talent, but was in the wrong line when God offered it!