After thinking about this for a while it suddenly occurred to me that I know what that perfect gift is...for me to my Mom it is us.. her children. She lights up when we are around. She is herself when she can fix you something to eat or just sit and listen as she relives the stories of her parents, family and our history. She is at peace when one by one her kids call or stop by to wish her a happy Mother's day. She is grateful to God to have been a Mother. It is at those moments that you have glimpsed the perfect gift. I am grateful to God for Mom and the gift that she has been to myself and my family. She is more than just a Mom. She is a friend, a shoulder to cry on, a good listener, an example to strive towards and my best friend....Happy Mother's day Mom...love you with all my heart...
I myself can truly say that the best gift God ever gave me was the ability to be a Mom. That was the happiest time in my life. I remember trying to do it all, make meals, laundry, run the kids to events, listen to their papers, help them learn how to be adults....good wives and husbands. It was a selfish pleasure that has touched my heart and if they only knew that they never need to look for that perfect gift...because I already have them.
I know someday it is inevitable that I will sit in a rocking chair with drool coming out of the corner of my mouth, but (oddly enough for me)...a smile. I know people will think I am demented, or lost in another world and they will be right. I will be lost in the moments of motherhood..and reliving that most precious time again and again in my mind.
To watch my children become parents is a humbling experience, many times you want to step in and say let me show a simpler way...let me help you..but instead it is now my job to observe from the sidelines and take pleasure in watching what they have learned be put into practice. I am proud of each and everyone of them and the families they are raising. I am sure as all parents and moms know..your children are the best...and why not they had us for teachers....I love you all and you are my heart and you never have to worry about that perfect gift, you already gave me all that I will ever need....
To Katie, Amy and Billy you are my life and Jono you are my future...Love to you all.....Mom.
1 comment:
What beautiful kids! I love the little girls dresses and Andrew's happy face! We were blessed to have the best Mom weren't we Midge? You did an awesome job with your family, Happy Mother's day to you!!
Post a Comment