Sunday, December 7, 2008

A face missing in the crowd...

This weekend has been busy and it started with our company party on Friday. It was nice to sit quietly and notice my three brothers (who work with me) laughing, talking and enjoying each other's company. My children Bill and Amy also were there. Billy works with us as well and Amy was my significant other for the evening. There is such a pride in who they all are and all that they bring to the company, but especially my life. I didn't notice until later that Billy also noticed their presence but had a different take on the event. He told me how lucky they were to have each other and to be there together to laugh and joke and work together. I told him I understood.. I am very lucky. It wasn't until he continued when he said that he doesn't have that. He will never be able to laugh again with his brother, go fishing with him and Andrew or have him stand next to him at some of the most important events of his life. I knew what he meant. He said I know I have sisters and they are close and we all are but it isn't the same. I tried to explain that I am lucky to have had a sister who you can confide in, cry with, laugh a lot, share memories and is always there for you. I know he misses Jonathan and my heart bleeds, I can not give you what you are looking for. I did once, it was not suppose to turn out this way...but I can't change what has happened. I wish I could..He now has Andrew and he is his pride and joy. He can't wait for him to grow up so they can share so many adventures together. I tried to assure him, that Jonathan always stands beside you in the good times, major events, ridiculas moments or the saddest of times. I also believe he knew Andrew before we did and his memory will fade as Andrew grows older. You are not alone, you have many people in your life and yes I know they are not your brother but they are extremely close to you. He confirmed what I had said and though I know it wasn't at all what he wanted......it will fill the void. Someday Andrew will grow up and there is much for you to teach him, but know you don't teach him alone.


****************************************************

Sunday was Andrew's Baptism. It hardly seems possible to stand in the crowd and watch as he was baptized. I stood in that same exact place many years ago, but I was the one holding the baby and giving the LOOK to the others to make sure they behave. Today you are a spectator and are proud of the children before you who are really adults. I wished for them the happiness in this little one, that my own have brought to my life. I tried to express to slow down, hold them longer, don't worry about chores, just love them for who they are, be there always.....
The picture on the left is a blessing for the Father of the child, not a V-8 moment...
Here is our 4 generations.... and I am lucky we were all together to enjoy the day.. I guess it wouldn't be 4 generations if we weren't all together....hummmm.

The baptismal candle came from the Greek store in Chicago...yes they do it up really big there, but a baptism in the Greek Orthodox church is a major event in a child's life. Not that it isn't in ours, but they do it on a grand scale.
Father Damien, Andrew, Bill and Laura.. and he didn't even cry. Andrew I mean not Father...










All in all it was a perfect day...and I am grateful for them all......

3 comments:

yaya said...

Your thoughts, along with Bill's, echo ours here...We miss Jono too. Life doesn't always turn out the way you plan, but there are still wonderful things to be grateful for and I know we'll see Jono again and boy, does he have some 'splaining to do! Looks like the baptism was really nice, sure wish we could have been there. Don't forget to light a candle this Sunday at 7pm in memory of children that have passed...Love ya!

Donna said...

BEAUTIFUL baby and ceremony! Congratulations! Yoiu have a gift for writing that makes chills go down my spine....

Amy and Craig said...

This is Craig....Great post Midge! You did a great job explaining a difficult subject that a lot of people don't understand. And I agree with Donna, you have a gift for writing! Congratulations on the baby blessing. We hope everyone's doing well.