Thursday, October 11, 2012

Let 2012 begin

      Well oddly enough this is my first post of the year, and what a year it has been. Between economy, work, health, family and everything in between, this year rates up there at the top for the most memorable years in my life.....before I get to the present I have to go back start at the beginning of the year.....

      Everyone waited in January for the other shoe to drop and the weather to change and become what it is suppose to be...cold, blistery and miserable. It never happened. It was the mildest winter we have had since I can remember. Plants that were to weather over never did. The temperatures never fell and the snow plowers lost a lot of money with only 4 snowfalls during the season. It did not bode well for the economy of these people.
   We started off the New Year with Amy cutting off 10 inches of her hair that she then donated to Locks of Love I am proud of you Amy, that aught to make someone very happy.....
   By the end of the month we celebrated Bill and Laura's oldest daughter, Alana on her 8th birthday...done up girly style with a party and crew of people to do hair, nails, make-up etc.....she is growing up quickly. Unfortunately..I forgot the camera so I will make sure next time to be better prepared.
  We then moved into Lent and at the church it is always a busy time for us. We tried something new this year where we served soup and bread following the noon mass on the Fridays during Lent. It went over very well, but lying underneath the surface of the event was the knowledge that we could serve a hearty meal and no one would know if you needed the meal, were homeless or just hungry. It was a very satisfying experience. We for the first time actually had volunteers that wanted to make soup and before you knew it there was a soup competition going on. The recipes all had to be meatless and it was amazing how many actual recipes are out there that taste great but have no meat......when we finished the competition so to speak we had enough recipes to create a Lenten Soup recipe book....Thanks to all the cooks, volunteers and eaters for a very special Lent......

No comments: