Friday, September 12, 2008

Play Ball !!

Went to the White Sox game last night....it has been quite awhile since I have been to a baseball game. It was really nice. Amy got tickets last minute and She, myself and a co-worker of mine (Christyn)(friend of Amy) went with. Christyn is a true South Sider and loves the Sox. I use to be a Cubs fan when I was a kid, actually one of those strange bleacher bums which are really in a world of their own.
I remember when I was a kid about 12, a group of nieghborhood kids and I would go to as many games as we could. Sometimes that even meant getting there at 6:30 in the morning and sitting outside the gates waiting for them to open. Sometimes we drove, other times we took the train, then the "L", then hoofed it the rest of the way. No fear, no worries about bad areas, bad people or anything. AHHH to be young.....I still remember the excitement of just being there with all the players you idolized. I can remember most of the line up.....catcher: Randy Huntley, they use to call him "Reb" he was from the south, Ernie Banks- first base, Glen Beckert 2nd base, Don Kessinger - short stop, Ron Santo- third base. I barely remember the outfielders, I do know one was Billy Williams ( never could understand his parents reasoning behind his name). Pappas was one of the pitchers and so on and so on. I never could imagine letting my kids go to the ballpark when they were 12. Ask anyone of them, I wouldn't even let them ride their bikes across a 2 lane highway.....and that was up until they started driving. I guess I was a little over protected...
Amy and I at the game (thanks Eric for the use of your shirt...I will wash and return it)
Anyway the game was basically shut out until the 8th inning and the opposing team got 6 runs. By the end of the ninth we had accumulated 4 runs...and lost 6-4. Either way it wasfun being with Amy and Christyn and soaking up the atmosphere of the crowd.







By the way Happy Birthday Christyn, her birthday is Saturday and again she is going back to the park for her birthday...Gotta love the loyalty of south siders.

This guy decided to run out on the field and he was quickly tackled by the mighty Chicago Security, taken to the ground and hand-cuffed. They escorted him out of the park and the game resumed. I thought he looked like Eric at first, probably wanting his shirt back, but Amy assured me that it wasn't and Eric was actually working. (Eric by the way is Amy's boyfriend)
Now on to a more tasty subject. Kathy this one is for you. Apparently you wanted the recipe for Saganaki. Here goes:

1/2 inch thick slices of Kasseri or Kefalotiri cheese

1 Egg

1/2 Cup of milk

Flour

Lemon quartered

Brandy (if desired if you flame it)

Pour about 1/4 inch of oil in frying pan- Heat oil..not to hot. Beat milk and egg (batter is suffiecient for 4-5 slices of cheese. Prepare 1 slice at a time. Dip cheese in the milk/egg mixture, then dip in flour. Place in frying pan until brown on both sides. Remove and place in heated metal pan or frying pan. Pour 1/2 shot of brandy over cheese, flame and serve. Squeeze quartered lemons over cheese to put out flame. OOpah! which by the way means...ya hew if you were from the south I guess. It is just an expression of Yippeee.....enjoy..




2 comments:

yaya said...

Thanks! I'll print it out and give it to the girls at work. (I'll keep a copy too and maybe evern make it!...where does a Mormon get brandy???) The game looked fun. Yes, I remember going to Cubs games and you're right, I'd never let my kiddos do the same..Glad you had fun!

Amy and Craig said...

sounds like you had fun at the game and I'm super impressed with the fact that you were a hardcore baseball fan and remember their names and such! saga-WHAT?